[mythtvnz] Default Passwords

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jun 1 23:26:02 BST 2012

On 2/06/2012 10:13 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:54 AM, tortise<tortise at paradise.net.nz>  wrote:
>> I've noted a post that contained a my_th_tv password (obfus_cation intended)
>> that I'd seen before. A quick Googling confirmed this observation. I had
>> assumed that the passwords used by the my_th_tv backend were randomly
>> generated however it appears that is not the case. It maybe that they are
>> specified per my_th_bu_ntu version, or some other schema? If I am correct
>> anyone wishing any degree of security on their my_th_tv box (which I think
>> means those who expose it to the web) should change the default password. Is
>> this correct?  Can anyone expand on this?
>
> the ubuntu package mythtv-common creates a random password - see the
> postinst script. Specifically this line
>
> mythtv_password="$(pwgen -s 8)"

Hmmm  Try

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=C1RFOKlE&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

If it were random why does that password find many seemingly independent
mythtv situations?  Perhaps it reflects older practice and the hole has
been plugged more recently?  I think you're running 12.04 now Nick?