[mythtvnz] configuring hvr-2200 card

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Fri Sep 30 08:00:59 BST 2011

On 30/09/11 18:04, Robin Gilks wrote:

>>> Well I for one hope the analog works as I just bought one 2 days ago to
>>> use to capture the svideo output of my Sky box.
>>>
>>> When it arrives next week I'll let people know - if it doesn't work on
>>> that port then I guess I'll be writing drivers (busmans holiday!!)
>>>
>> Have you got it working? I finally got svideo plus audio working after
>> bashing my head for a while trying /dev/video1. It only seems to work on
>> /dev/video0. On /dev/video1 I just get a blue screen which I guess
>> indicates no input to the encoder.
>>
>> The tuner input seems to work fine on both /dev/video0 and /dev/video1.
>>
>> The driver must automatically associate the aux audio input with the
>> svideo input because I haven't seen anything in myth logs indicating a
>> request to link aux and svideo.
>>
>> Watch out if you turn on all the driver debug options because it rapidly
>> generates 100's of megs of log files.
>>
>> I haven't figured out a way to have 2 x DVB + 2 x analogue tuners/inputs
>> set up permanently and get reliable switching between them. Not sure if
>> the problem is in myth or the driver or I just haven't set things right
>> yet. Seems like I have to reboot to get DVB working again on an input if
>> it has previously been used for analogue.
>
> Hi David
>
> I've got as far as plugging the card into the m/b (and can see it with
> lspci) but I've a fair amount of work to do moving from a Gentoo
> gen-kernel 2.6.32 kernel with lots of module drivers in an initfs to a
> 2.6.39 monolithic kernel with just the tuner cards and mce remote as
> modules.
>
> Its a change I've been meaning to do for the last 3 years but as this is
> my main server box as well as the master backend I've been loathe to take
> it offline for long enough to get it all up and working!!
>
> I guess I'll just have to bit the bullet as the pvr150 failed again last
> night.
>
> Can you point me at any useful howtos as most I find are 2 years old and
> mostly refer to the DVB side only.
>
> Cheers

Hi Robin,

I think I started with this page about the HVR-1600:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600

which has a link to this linuxtv page:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

Then I manually patched the saa7164 source using this info:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/26212/focus=26524

After this I added an "IVTV MPEG-2 Encoder card..." in myth setup. I had
to manually enter the device.

For the svideo input I made a separate source and channel following this
advice:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/S-Video/Composite_Input_Recording

Note that myth will choke if you don't give it a channel to tune to even
though you're using the svideo input. I just picked a random channel.

I added two analogue frequencies to the channel list to test. You could
skip this if you only want to use svideo. I used my TV to get channel
numbers and translated them to kHz using this site:

http://www.ramsden.info/TW/Topics/Reference
/TVChannelFrequencies.htm#NewZealand

Select "PAL-BG" as the channel type but I think any of the PAL standards
will work (assuming you're dealing with a PAL source).

This page may also help:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Connecting_Tuner_Card_To_Cable_Sat#Svideo_or_Composite_from_the_STB

Finally you connect either the tuner input or svideo input to the card
in input connections.

I think that's about it. Let me know if you need any more info.

There are a bunch of driver debug output options which you can find in
saa7164.h I think.