[mythtvnz] Advice/suggestions for quiet HD setup

Rick Hudson rick at kpo.org.nz
Thu Jun 9 00:22:09 BST 2011

On 7/06/2011 9:28 p.m., Kerry Baker wrote:

> I like the idea of a self-contained frontend/backend system that is quiet
> so have been considering basing it on an Asus AT5IONT-I mobo -- mini-ITX
> form factor with passively cooled D525 dual-core Atom CPU with Nvidia ION
> chipset.

I think it's worth noting that passive cooling of certain chips may get you
variable mileage depending on how you do it and it's hard to predict
performance before trying it. For example I have a fanless system with an
NVidia 9400 chipset. This came with its own moderate heatsink but under the
stress of playing HD video it got way too hot and it would go into partial
thermal shutdown (video will stop playing smoothly once this happens).
Meanwhile the CPU was running cold because it handed off just about all the
work to the 9400 (even 1080p MPEG4 uses like 5% CPU). I fixed it my simply
running a heatpipe to the case's main heatsink and now it runs at like 40
degrees lower with no reliability issues.

I suspect that the standard heatsink on chips like this might be fine if you
have a system fan to remove ambient heat but with completely fanless you
usually need to pipe out the heat for high performance things like HD decoding.

--
Rick Hudson
http://www.kpo.org.nz/                                        rick at kpo.org.nz