[mythtvnz] Advice/suggestions for quiet HD setup

Kerry Baker kerry.baker at orcon.net.nz
Tue Jun 7 10:28:14 BST 2011

(Apologies for the double-posting.  I forgot about a subject line... what
a n00b)

Hi all,
I've been a mythtv user for several years.  I have been successfully using
a VIA SP13000 system as a frontend/backend combo with a DVB-S PCI tuner.

I've been thinking its time to HD my setup esp as XvMC support for Mythtv
is being discontinued.

I like the idea of a self-contained frontend/backend system that is quiet
so have been considering basing it on an Asus AT5IONT-I mobo -- mini-ITX
form factor with passively cooled D525 dual-core Atom CPU with Nvidia ION
chipset.
I also need an HD tuner.  PCIe cards with Linux drivers seem hard to come
by and mini-itx cases often don't have a lot of room so I am considering a
USB tuner.  HDHomeRun also seems like a good possibility tho and perhaps
more versatile.

I am putting this out there to see what you other experts think.  I
welcome alternative hardware suggestions.
I'm also interested in learning about any "gotchas" (e.g. driver or mythtv
issues) with this setup and other peoples experiences with similar
hardware. (My Via setup has been successful for me but it was a b*tch to
set up in the first place!  I don't want a repeat!)

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Kerry.