[mythtvnz] Nova-T 500 fails to tune

Brendan Dacre bjdacre at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 11:00:15 GMT 2011

On 8 January 2011 16:16, Douglas Pearless
<douglas.pearless at pearless.co.nz>wrote:

> I too has issues with this card due to USB disconnect problems (as this
> card is a USB device on the PCI bus) and this caused me to stop using the
> remote as the whole card would stop working until I disabled the remote. I
> note that there is a bug in the kernel which causes Ir on USB to oops and it
> is going to be fixed in 2.64.37 (I am waiting for this myself)
> Cheers
> Douglas
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 7/01/2011, at 8:58 AM, Brett <mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > What does
> >
> > dmesg | grep dvb
> >
> > return ?
> >
> > I've not had any problems with firmware 1.20 but I don't use its IR RC
> > function.
> >
> > Are you using a UHF only antenna on this card ?
> > I think the tuners on this card are bit crappy, seem to need lots of
> > signal & are most likely compromised by other strong signals.
> > People have trouble with some in-line/masthead amplifiers.

Thanks to all who have replied.

I have not been twiddling my thumbs in the meantime...

I applied every option recommended and the 1.10 firmware...  No luck.

So I tested under windows.  Still no luck.  Again the card drivers load and
it seems to be working but scanning for channels fails.

UHF reception is otherwise quite good.  Typically at least 80% on live tv
for the weakest (Kordia) multiplex on the HVR 1200 which works perfectly
from the same aerial connection.  I did start experimenting with some
unamplified rabbit ears as an alternative to my external aerial with no
better luck.  I have a usb volar hd which works mostly fine when connected
to the external aerial and when I connect via it's small portable rabbits
ear aerial.  I am in line of sight of Mt Cargill, so I would expect the
signal to be OK.

Maybe I might build an i386 machine and test it in that, we'll see how
conscientious I feel.  I would be interested in the setups of people who
actually have one of these working.

BTW Douglas, isn't the usb disconnect issue fixed by 'options usbcore
autosuspend=-1' and then rebuilding your initrd as described in the link I
included earlier?

I am not interested in the IR setup as I don't have the dongle or a remote
control for the card.

Brendan