[mythtvnz] Tuning problems with new LNB and DVB-S2 card

Nick Wallingford nickw at beekeeping.co.nz
Fri Dec 30 08:18:17 GMT 2011

On 30/12/11 18:46, Neil Henwood wrote:
> On 26/12/11 13:50, Nick Wallingford wrote:
>> I added a TeVii S460 S2 card to my system's backend to try to add
>> Channel 9, Go! and GEM, specifically.
>>
>> I replaced the basic LNB with a Dual Twin Output LNB and ran the second
>> coax.  I am not certain this new LNB is right for the 900mm oval dish -
>> it may be intended for the smaller round dish?  But it does get all the
>> channels from the two Freeview transponders as it did before the
>> replacements...
>>
>> I've confirmed, to the best of my ability, the dish pointing at Optus
>> D1, using a finder to confirm the pointing (which was already pretty
>> much there from the previous setup).
>>
>> The only oddity I get there is in the skew (is that the right term?) of
>> the LNB - the signal *seems* to go up if the output connectors are at
>> about the 10 o'clock position, rather than the expected 8 o'clock.  But
>> in fact nothing gets received at all if it is at 10 - so I've put it
>> back to 8 as I think it should be.
>>
>> Trying to tune the new card to Ch 9, etc, I go for freq 12398000,
>> vertical polarity, 11909000 symbol rate, DVB-S2.  Though it shows a
>> signal strength of 86% and S/N of 79% - it doesn't get a 'lock'.
>>
>> I would have thought that should get the new channels for me?
>>
>> After a number of attempts, twice it *has* had a lock, and once to the
>> point that I could get the channels tuned, etc - but eventually stopped
>> tuning them...
>>
>> I'd sure appreciate some guidance on what to try next...
>>
>> Nick
>> Tauranga

> Hi Nick
>
> I have the same DVB-S2 card, and also have issues with tuning and
> recording from the Channel 9 transponder. If I remove the power from the
> backend, it will record fine for a few days, then I get 0 bite
> recordings again, untill I power off again. SBS&  freeview record Ok
> while Channel 9 fails.
> I have an updated Fedora 16 kernel waiting for me now that I am back
> home again to see if that works, so will know in a couple of days if
> that is the issue. (Going from 3.1.5-6.fc16.x86_64 to 3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64)
>
> The 2 LNB's that I have are an old 90cm iHug dish, and a old 60cm Sky
> dish with Sharp LNB.
>
> So try remove power from your backend (don't just reboot) and see how
> you go then.
>
> Neil

For sure worth a try!

Given that I have had *occasional* ability to tune Channel 9, etc, I
know it is possible, so apart from needing to work around the family's
use of the TV (heh, heh...) I'm keen to keep trying until I can get it
sorted out.

Tonight, for instance, is one of those "Are you messing around with the
TV again? - STOP it" times in our household...

Nick