[mythtvnz] Tuning problems with new LNB and DVB-S2 card

Neil Henwood nhenwood.lists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 05:46:00 GMT 2011

On 26/12/11 13:50, Nick Wallingford wrote:
> I added a TeVii S460 S2 card to my system's backend to try to add
> Channel 9, Go! and GEM, specifically.
>
> I replaced the basic LNB with a Dual Twin Output LNB and ran the second
> coax.  I am not certain this new LNB is right for the 900mm oval dish -
> it may be intended for the smaller round dish?  But it does get all the
> channels from the two Freeview transponders as it did before the
> replacements...
>
> I've confirmed, to the best of my ability, the dish pointing at Optus
> D1, using a finder to confirm the pointing (which was already pretty
> much there from the previous setup).
>
> The only oddity I get there is in the skew (is that the right term?) of
> the LNB - the signal *seems* to go up if the output connectors are at
> about the 10 o'clock position, rather than the expected 8 o'clock.  But
> in fact nothing gets received at all if it is at 10 - so I've put it
> back to 8 as I think it should be.
>
> Trying to tune the new card to Ch 9, etc, I go for freq 12398000,
> vertical polarity, 11909000 symbol rate, DVB-S2.  Though it shows a
> signal strength of 86% and S/N of 79% - it doesn't get a 'lock'.
>
> I would have thought that should get the new channels for me?
>
> After a number of attempts, twice it *has* had a lock, and once to the
> point that I could get the channels tuned, etc - but eventually stopped
> tuning them...
>
> I'd sure appreciate some guidance on what to try next...
>
> Nick
> Tauranga

Hi Nick

I have the same DVB-S2 card, and also have issues with tuning and
recording from the Channel 9 transponder. If I remove the power from the
backend, it will record fine for a few days, then I get 0 bite
recordings again, untill I power off again. SBS & freeview record Ok
while Channel 9 fails.
I have an updated Fedora 16 kernel waiting for me now that I am back
home again to see if that works, so will know in a couple of days if
that is the issue. (Going from 3.1.5-6.fc16.x86_64 to 3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64)

The 2 LNB's that I have are an old 90cm iHug dish, and a old 60cm Sky
dish with Sharp LNB.

So try remove power from your backend (don't just reboot) and see how
you go then.

Neil