[mythtvnz] intro

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Tue Aug 9 05:06:01 BST 2011

On 09/08/11 12:48, Bruce Wilson wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just wanted to introduce myself, as I have just signed up to the list.
> I have almost finished setting up a mythtv box using mythbuntu. I'm
> using the HVR-2210 dual tuner for DVB-T. I got the 2210 as is was
> cheaper than the 2200 and comes with a remote control. I had to compile
> v4l with a patch to get the HVR-2210 to work. I still have not got get
> the remote control working. tried lirc - but no go yet.
> Just installed a gigabyte GT430 card - now can play/watch HD without
> maxing the cpu and getting sound breakup.
> Using mhegepgsnoop.py_0.3
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/mhegepgsnooppy/files/mhegepgsnoop.py_0.3/>
> for xmltv (thanks David).  Works great with direct access, but dumps
> python backtrace in dvbsnoop mode. Also a bit of a learning curve to
> know to set xml id's up and set time zone to none.
>
> Cheers
> Bruce Wilson

Hi Bruce,

So does the HVR-2210 need different firmware to the HVR-2200 for basic
digital tuning functionality? I have a 2200 which works fine with Steven
Toth's drivers.

You are the first person I have heard is actually using mhegepgsnoop.
:-) Post a dump of the backtrace for the dvbsnoop glitch when you have
time. No hurry. I haven't looked at the code for a while anyway and I
don't use the dvbsnoop mode any more myself.

I tried to make the xml channel id stuff a bit clever. You just need a
fairly good match between the xml id and what's broadcast in the MHEG
data. For example, xml ids fv_tvone or FV_TVONE or one or ONe should
match channel one's id so long as there isn't another xml id more
similar to the MHEG id. Hope that makes sense. Also you can check the
verbose output to see what the MHEG chan ids are.

The NZ MHEG data uses NZ times so you want no timezone offset if your
machine is also using NZ timezone data. I haven't tested the transition
to/from daylight savings much. So watch out for incorrect times in your
EPG when DST rolls around again.

David