[mythtvnz] HDD Space Consservation - 1080i DVB-T vs DVB-S 576i vs ?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 25 08:44:38 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Rout
To: MythTV in NZ
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2010 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] HDD Space Consservation - 1080i DVB-T vs DVB-S 576i vs ?

>> That is an obvious alternative with obvious difficulties.  (Power, space, heat, connections etc)  Its not really a Linux quality
>> nix
efficient approach.

>I am not sure how it is an inefficient approach.

Each additional disc is a capital cost.  Running each extra disc takes extra power. (Accepted negligible if they spin down)  Each
disc needs more case space and system resources, if available, such as a spare interface and extra heat removal capacity...  If the
recordings are smaller each HDD will go further....I'm not really sure there's any rocket science in this...

>Disks spin down when not in use.

My backend currently has a small (120G) disk for the OS and 2x2T discs.  A bit of reading up on this (thank you (again!) for the
prompt) tells me spinning down is not set by default, but its ready to be set in myhthbuntu in /etc/hdparm.conf, I might see if I
can get the 2T drives to spin down. (cool!)

>Actually every time you transcode it reduces quality, so best to keep what the station throws at you in some ways.

Agreed, however that does not change the proposition.

> I have a 1T recording space, for satellite only, so about 2G/hour. I am thinking I can fit two more drives in the box and they may
> as well be 2T each, quintupling my space.

>With three kids, all with different tastes, 1T is not enough! Particularly as they seem to watch some things over and over. I dunno
>how many episodes of family guy we damn well have!

>And don't talk to me about true blood or skins!!

OK.  Sounds like you'll be staying on DVB-S for some time to come then!  (Maybe Satellites are more quake proof too?)