[mythtvnz] HDD Space Consservation - 1080i DVB-T vs DVB-S 576i vs ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 07:21:39 BST 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> [...]
yeah so what you're getting is not HD anyway!

> Also the distinction between much 1080i and 720p, even on 40" monitors, can
> be minimal.
>
> >Otherwise, hard drives are cheap, just plonk a couple more in or attached
> to your back end.
>
> That is an obvious alternative with obvious difficulties.  (Power, space,
> heat, connections etc)  Its not really a Linux quality nix
> efficient approach.

I am not sure how it is an inefficient approach. What power does it take to
do the traanscoding. Disks spin down when not in use.

Actually every time you transcode it reduces quality, so best to keep what
the station throws at you in some ways.

I have a 1T recording space, for satellite only, so about 2G/hour. I am
thinking I can fit two more drives in the box and they may as well be 2T
each, quintupling my space.

With three kids, all with different tastes, 1T is not enough! Particularly
as they seem to watch some things over and over. I dunno how many episodes
of family guy we damn well have!

And don't talk to me about true blood or skins!!