[mythtvnz] HDD Space Consservation - 1080i DVB-T vs DVB-S 576i vs ?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 09:37:25 BST 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> From: Nick Rout
> >I am not sure how it is an inefficient approach.
>
> Each additional disc is a capital cost.

True, but they are pretty cheap these days. Even at 5GB an hour we're
talking less than $0.5 per hour of capacity.

> Running each extra disc takes extra power. (Accepted negligible if they
> spin down)

Obviously if you can record at a lower bitrate then the power use might be
relevant but if you're transcoding then you'll be running your CPU at 100%
for significant amounts of time. I think the HD power requirements would be
lower than that. And the heat removal requirements of that sort of heavy CPU
use are likely to be more demanding that for the HDs as well.

> Each
> disc needs more case space and system resources, if available, such as a
> spare interface and extra heat removal capacity...

If the alternative is not buying discs then I'm not sure what the benefit of
a spare interface would be...

Transcoding is one option, but the power and cooling requirements are likely
to be much worse than extra HDs and it's not so good if you often want to
watch the shows before they have had time to transcode. I'm sure there have
been threads on the main list in the past about distinguishing HD versions
of shows. You could do a search for them and then look at getting a DVB-S
card.

Cheers,