[mythtvnz] HDD Space Consservation - 1080i DVB-T vs DVB-S 576i vs ?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 25 06:54:52 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Rout
To: MythTV in NZ
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] HDD Space Consservation - 1080i DVB-T vs DVB-S 576i vs ?

>There was a thread om mythtvuser recently about transcoding h264 material.

Yep, I'll check it out thanks.  It might be a good option to be able to transcode to 720p and 576i as "standard options"

>But then again, if HD is of little use to you because you don't get the benefit of it, use your satellite dish, as SD at 576i seems to
>be what is acceptable to you (given your viewing equipment).

That's not quite what I was saying, I was commenting that much content the hi definition is of minimal benefit to me (a good e.g is
576i content broadcast upscaled to 1080i!) while some other content is appreciated and preferred in HD.

Also the distinction between much 1080i and 720p, even on 40" monitors, can be minimal.

>Otherwise, hard drives are cheap, just plonk a couple more in or attached to your back end.

That is an obvious alternative with obvious difficulties.  (Power, space, heat, connections etc)  Its not really a Linux quality nix
efficient approach.