[mythtvnz] EPG

Barry Clearwater barryc at bcsystems.co.nz
Tue Oct 12 03:51:17 BST 2010

On 7 October 2010 13:06, Ross Williamson <ross at inertia.net.nz> wrote:

>> Am I right in assuming that someone who uses only DVB-T  can only get
>> 2 days of data from the EPG?
>
> Not exactly.
>
> One of the nice things about MythTV is the ability to separate the
> listings source from the actual viewing source. You can still get your
> listings from where you normally do but use these for the DVB-T
> channels.
>
> Long(ish) range DVB-T listings data in NZ is not transmitted via EIT
> like on DVB-S, but rather in a proprietary MHEG5 container. There have
> been projects discussed on this list before on how to extract the data
> from this, so it is possible if you wanted to go that route.
>
> Personally I use epgnsoop to grab the listings data off the satellite
> and then use this data on all my sources including DVB-T.
>
> There are a number of options for listings but several ways are (in no
> particular order):
>
> * Downloading listings off the web (eg nzepg.org)
> * Grabbing data from DVB-S using epgsnoop and friends
> * Extracted MHEG5 data from DVB-T
>

> Ross

Right, but mythtv is currently not automatically extracting MGEG5
data, and the person I'm enquiring for  has no dish.
so we need a permanent internet connection. Given the traffic that
discussing nzepg.org and
tv_grab_nz-py generate, is it safe to say its a reliable long term
script or will it as Jonathan puts it need "feeding and watering"
or is that minimal, eg once or twice a year?

Barry Clearwater

Email: barryc at bcsystems.co.nz