[mythtvnz] EPG

Ross Williamson ross at inertia.net.nz
Tue Oct 12 04:09:23 BST 2010

> Right, but mythtv is currently not automatically extracting MGEG5
> data, and the person I'm enquiring for  has no dish.
> so we need a permanent internet connection. Given the traffic that
> discussing nzepg.org and
> tv_grab_nz-py generate, is it safe to say its a reliable long term
> script or will it as Jonathan puts it need "feeding and watering"
> or is that minimal, eg once or twice a year?

That will be the least maintenance option.

Any form of direct grabbing is going to require considerably more
maintenance over the course of a year than tv_grab_nz-py.

The only time any maintenance is going to be required with
tv_grab_nz-py is if the site with the listings changes, which only tends
to happen when a certain pay TV operator goes on a legal rampage. If
past experiences are anything to go by, this should be _less_ than once
or twice a year.

The volunteer running nzepg.org appears to keep it reasonably well
maintained so usually any issues that arise are sorted before they
become an issue (eg missing guide data is sorted before most people will
have run out of it - assuming a once per day grab.)

Ross