[mythtvnz] New Hard Drive not performing well

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Wed Nov 17 10:15:39 GMT 2010

Please fix your top posting.

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 23:00 +1300, Richard (lists account) wrote:
> They speed up and slow down depending on use,

Actually, they don't, common misconception.

> frequent 2-3 second delays just after you start to access them,

I've not seen this on the half dozen or so that I've used.

> I tried my old 1TB as a OS drive for my replacement firewall machine,
> it was slower to boot than an old 160 gig IDE drive I cloned onto the
> WD green.

The trick is to use them for a storage drive, not an operating system
drive.

Speed, low power, quiet, you can't have all of those in one spinning
disk.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier