[mythtvnz] New Hard Drive not performing well

Richard (lists account) rich_lists at richms.com
Wed Nov 17 11:16:53 GMT 2010

Performance is defiantly varying depending on the mood of the drive. Sound
of the drive changes between access and not access, strong evidence that
something is changing in them depending on if they are used or not.

> > frequent 2-3 second delays just after you start to access them,
>
> I've not seen this on the half dozen or so that I've used.

I change track, and the light comes on solid for a moment, and often the
first half second of the song plays, it pauses briefly and then continues
once its settled. If the next track is on the same drive, no problems, if
its the other drive, then same glitch again. Its like they are going to
sleep or something despite me choosing never in the OS.

> > I tried my old 1TB as a OS drive for my replacement firewall machine,
> > it was slower to boot than an old 160 gig IDE drive I cloned onto the
> > WD green.
>
> The trick is to use them for a storage drive, not an operating system
> drive.
>
> Speed, low power, quiet, you can't have all of those in one spinning
> disk.

I don't see the power savings to be there to put up with it. Sure, they are
a little cooler than a proper drive, but so what, fans don't cost much
anyway. I really struggle to see the point of them other than scoring
marketing points with the greenwash brigade. If they were not the cheapest I
would never have considered them as an option, sadly they were, I did, and I
am stuck with them now.