[mythtvnz] New Hard Drive not performing well

Richard (lists account) rich_lists at richms.com
Wed Nov 17 10:00:52 GMT 2010

They speed up and slow down depending on use, frequent 2-3 second delays
just after you start to access them,

Also in desktop use they seem to get really bad when they get full. My
windows 7 machine changed from a total sloth that was unusable to quite ok
with just a change from a green to a black drive, the green tests ok,
benchmarks look ok.

As far as using it to store media on, its tolerable. Not tried one on a myth
machine yet because mine is in pieces as I needed parts for another PC, but
there is a massive difference between one and 2 copy operations onto or off
the WD green - 45-60MB/s for one, 5-6MB/S each for 2 of them. I guess the
silent and efficient seeking has its toll for performance.

I tried my old 1TB as a OS drive for my replacement firewall machine, it was
slower to boot than an old 160 gig IDE drive I cloned onto the WD green.