[mythtvnz] Backend Hardware - thoughts and recommendations

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 31 13:37:16 BST 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010 23:00:43 +1200, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Need to rebuild my 'mythtv' system after a catastrophic hard drive
>failure. The current system was analogue only using PVR-150 cards.
>
>I'm looking to move to a dedicated DVB-T back-end with separate
>front-ends, however I've not been in the hardware purchasing market for
>a while.
>
>I'd appreciate any reasonable suggestions on mobo cpu ram combinations
>that others have working or know work well. I already have available a
>case suitable for ATX or microATX type motherboards.

If you want to run mythcommflag on DVB-T recordings on your backend,
then the faster the box, the better.  It seems that mythcommflag only
runs on one CPU core at a time, so you can run as many mythcommflags
as you have cores, as long as your disk can keep up.

>My intention is to install a separate DTV antenna system for this
>back-end, possibly to something like a Hauppauge WinTV Nova T 500 or two.

There are only three DVB-T multiplexes, so two Nova TD-500 cards would
be over kill (4 tuners).