[mythtvnz] Backend Hardware - thoughts and recommendations

Graeme Woollett g.woollett at irl.cri.nz
Mon May 31 22:46:25 BST 2010

On 31/05/10 23:00, Andrew Sands wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Need to rebuild my 'mythtv' system after a catastrophic hard drive
> failure. The current system was analogue only using PVR-150 cards.
>
> I'm looking to move to a dedicated DVB-T back-end with separate
> front-ends, however I've not been in the hardware purchasing market for
> a while.
>
> I'd appreciate any reasonable suggestions on mobo cpu ram combinations
> that others have working or know work well. I already have available a
> case suitable for ATX or microATX type motherboards.

Just make sure the PSU in your case has the necessary "new" leads in its
loom for newer m/bs, my 3 yr old one didn't

> My intention is to install a separate DTV antenna system for this
> back-end, possibly to something like a Hauppauge WinTV Nova T 500 or two.

Go for an HVR2200 instead.  ATX will give you more options for plug-in
cards, especially if your GPU is double slot
In my experience AMD boards and CPU's are cheaper.  Processing HD stuff
(commflagging etc) does require more grunt so don't go cheap on the CPU.
For handling large files gigabit ethernet is also nice :-) .

my 2c.

--
Graeme Woollett
ph 04 931 0193