[mythtvnz] RedButton

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon May 24 10:39:11 BST 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Hadley Rich <hads at nice.net.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 20:54 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> > I can't do much more that 'hello world' in any language, but the
> > general consensus among those who write such stuff is that perl,
> > python and ruby excel at string manipulation, and you are basically
> > doing a lot of that when dealing with this sort of data, also there
> > are strong tools for manipulating xml in these 'advanced' scripting
> > languages. So if I were undertaking such an exercise I would start
> > with python, because there are good tutorials and I find it easier to
> > understand than perl, and I have a book (somewhere, maybe my son stole
> > it!)
>
> I agree. I'll also add, any modern distribution will have Perl and
> Python installed by default. So they aren't really dependencies as such.

People have had a few problems with versions or modules or whatever - I
remember a couple of threads here. And when I tried it I had some weird
issue with character sets. I wouldn't say the choice of Python has been
entirely transparent. OTOH I'm sure it was a lot quicker to develop than
using say C.

Cheers,