[mythtvnz] RedButton

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Mon May 24 10:22:00 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 20:54 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> I can't do much more that 'hello world' in any language, but the
> general consensus among those who write such stuff is that perl,
> python and ruby excel at string manipulation, and you are basically
> doing a lot of that when dealing with this sort of data, also there
> are strong tools for manipulating xml in these 'advanced' scripting
> languages. So if I were undertaking such an exercise I would start
> with python, because there are good tutorials and I find it easier to
> understand than perl, and I have a book (somewhere, maybe my son stole
> it!)

I agree. I'll also add, any modern distribution will have Perl and
Python installed by default. So they aren't really dependencies as such.

Regardless, as we discussed earlier, you don't need a grabber to be
included in XMLTV for it to work with XMLTV/MythTV/whatever.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier