[mythtvnz] RedButton

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:54:50 BST 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Solor Vox <solorvox at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 May 2010 09:56, Hadley Rich <hads at nice.net.nz> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 09:21 +1200, Solor Vox wrote:
>> XMLTV is Perl actually
>>

> I guess I didn't dig deep enough in XMLTV as the few grabbers I saw
> were all python.  Regardless, just hadn't been able to contact any
> XMLTV devs about inclusion of the script.  I still think there are few
> other things that need to be worked out before it's put into another
> code base.

I can't do much more that 'hello world' in any language, but the
general consensus among those who write such stuff is that perl,
python and ruby excel at string manipulation, and you are basically
doing a lot of that when dealing with this sort of data, also there
are strong tools for manipulating xml in these 'advanced' scripting
languages. So if I were undertaking such an exercise I would start
with python, because there are good tutorials and I find it easier to
understand than perl, and I have a book (somewhere, maybe my son stole
it!)

But what do I know...