[mythtvnz] Optus D1 and Australian TV

James Gray james6.0 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 11:11:17 BST 2010

> What's your LNB skew like? The dual Aus/NZ beams such as that one are
> much lower signal than Freeview or certain pay TV operators so are more
> sensitive to your skew being correct. I've seen dishes where the skew is
> off enough to not get a lock on SBS but works on Freeview fine.

When Sky TV first moved onto D1, it was on the vertical NANZ beam for
a while (NZB was supposed to be configured vertical as it was on B1,
but was launched with the configuration incorrect), as sky had many
older decoders that would not set the LNB polarization correctly...
They moved to NZB when they managed to push out an OTA firmware update
to fix this.

But I would second the suggestion about LNB skew, this can often cause
some channels to be received but not others. Some LNBs, seem to be
twisted right round to about 8 o'clock for some reason, even thought
the skew is only supposed to be -16.7 (around 6.30 to 7 o'clockish. I
found this when I installed a dish and could pick up TV1 and TV2, and
the other channels on the same mux, but not tv3 etc.