[mythtvnz] Optus D1 and Australian TV

Neil Henwood nhenwood.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 7 11:20:16 BST 2010

James Gray wrote:
>> What's your LNB skew like? The dual Aus/NZ beams such as that one are
>> much lower signal than Freeview or certain pay TV operators so are more
>> sensitive to your skew being correct. I've seen dishes where the skew is
>> off enough to not get a lock on SBS but works on Freeview fine.
>>

> When Sky TV first moved onto D1, it was on the vertical NANZ beam for
> a while (NZB was supposed to be configured vertical as it was on B1,
> but was launched with the configuration incorrect), as sky had many
> older decoders that would not set the LNB polarization correctly...
> They moved to NZB when they managed to push out an OTA firmware update
> to fix this.
>
> But I would second the suggestion about LNB skew, this can often cause
> some channels to be received but not others. Some LNBs, seem to be
> twisted right round to about 8 o'clock for some reason, even thought
> the skew is only supposed to be -16.7 (around 6.30 to 7 o'clockish. I
> found this when I installed a dish and could pick up TV1 and TV2, and
> the other channels on the same mux, but not tv3 etc.

You might be onto something there. I believe that my skew is about
8o'clock. It it was not so cold and dark out there I would go and change
it. (Easy to do as it is by the deck and not on the roof.) I'll go out
and move it tomorrow and see what I can get. Otherwise I will check as
Ross advised and see what voltage I get from the card as I scan. It
would be nice to nail this little issue on the head. I'll let ya know
how how it goes.