[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 03:52:17 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:58 PM, David Kirk <davidrkirk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM,  <criggie at criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>> Consider a separate frontend / backend.  I've got a box running 24/7 out
>> in the garage, with the tuner cards etc connected.
>> The inside box is a little one that gets turned off, and the garage one
>> is a dual core with 4 disks etc.
>> Your combo machine has to be on all the time to do recordings, so noise
>> might be a factor in your place.
>
> If I put a separate backend in the garage, would 802.11g wireless to
> the frontend be sufficient or will it require a wired network
> connection?

You MAY get acceptable performance with G but I haven't managed to -
see the thread a week or so ago on CLUG about running cables...

It doesn't have to be your garage either. I have a Harry Potter
cupboard under the stairs...

>> LiveTV is not as useful as it sounds.  I only use it for testing.
>> LiveTV is just a stream off the current transponder, so if you had one
>> tuner and its recording, you can only watch LiveTV off one of the
>> channels on that transponder.
>>
>> Just get two tuners.
>
> I'll go for 2 tuners.  I'm hoping to change the way we watch TV from
> watching it when it is on to recording it and watching it when I want
> to watch it.  I'd still like the option though.
>
>>> I guess I'll need a video card that has component outputs to the TV.
>> Another box of worms.... you currently have an analogue CRT TV which
>> will probably have RF (old aerial) and composite (yellow) video in.  It
>> might have any of component (3 rca connectors in red/green/blue) , scart
>> (whacky oblong thing), etc etc.
>
> The TV has SCART and component connectors.  It might even have
> composite.  Are there any video cards with component outputs?  If not,
> I guess I can go with composite.  You mentioned VDPAU.  What does that
> give me, and is it really necessary for a system with SD content going
> through composite or component video?

VDPAU is hardware acceleration on the GPU, on nVidia 8xxx 9xxx and 2xx
cards (yes the numbering system went that way).

You will get a far better picture, including much better
deinterlacing, with vdpau. You will also get much less CPU usage, and
if you want to watch any HD TV in the furture (either from freeview or
rips from HD material) you are future proofed.

As for finding a card that will do component or RGB with vdpau, I'll
leave you to find the right card.