[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

criggie at criggie.dyndns.org criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 23 06:02:53 GMT 2010

David Kirk wrote:
> If I put a separate backend in the garage, would 802.11g wireless to
> the frontend be sufficient or will it require a wired network
> connection?

Maybe - I have a eee laptop that works as a frontend fine over 11g, but
its a bit laggier.   Wired ethernet is all good.

> The TV has SCART and component connectors.  It might even have
> composite.  Are there any video cards with component outputs?  If not,
> I guess I can go with composite.  You mentioned VDPAU.  What does that
> give me, and is it really necessary for a system with SD content going
> through composite or component video?

VDPAU is hardware acceleration done in the NVidia chipset.  Its good,
but not essential.  None of my gear supports it, and all playback SD
recordings fine.  It makes the difference with HD I understand.

This might be your most difficult part of the problem.

You have options -
1) get a video card that has composite out
2) get a video card that has HDMI out and find some HDMI to Component
adapter box thing
2b) Use a VGA to Composite adapter box
3) use a VGA LCD in the meantime and retask it on your desktop later
4) blow the budget and get a HDMI TV and HDMI video card.

 > I guess I just take a cable from the sound card to the 2 RCA connectors
> for left and right.

Yes that'll be fine.

--
Criggie