[mythtvnz] Wireless Keyboard / Trackball

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 09:14:19 GMT 2010

Steve Hodge wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Jonathan Hoskin
> <jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com <mailto:jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     A bit OT but does anyone else use Avahi / mDNS for automatic name
>     resolution on their network? Then everything on the network is
>     [hostname].local regardless of dynamic or static addressing. Since I
>     also have Apple gear in the house it makes a lot of sense for me.
>

> I almost set up it when I was trying to get MythMote working on my
> iPhone. It didn't seem to be able to resolve bare hostnames properly for
> some reason. But then I discovered you could just override the
> discovered addresses in MythMote and that was the easier solution.

I was playing around a few months ago with running backends in virtual
machines etc.  Anyway I looked at using mDNS as I thought it was an
elegant way to deal with IP addresses.  The one thing that I found was
that you could set the FE and possibly slave backends with .local names
but the master backend address would not resolve, it had to be an IP
address.  I never tracked down why this was the case.  Maybe it was a
config error on my part because you would think the resolution would be
taken care of by the OS...