[mythtvnz] Wireless Keyboard / Trackball

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 09:40:53 GMT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen <
ross.jemima at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Jonathan Hoskin
> > <jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com <mailto:jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     A bit OT but does anyone else use Avahi / mDNS for automatic name
> >     resolution on their network? Then everything on the network is
> >     [hostname].local regardless of dynamic or static addressing. Since I
> >     also have Apple gear in the house it makes a lot of sense for me.
> >

> > I almost set up it when I was trying to get MythMote working on my
> > iPhone. It didn't seem to be able to resolve bare hostnames properly for
> > some reason. But then I discovered you could just override the
> > discovered addresses in MythMote and that was the easier solution.
>
> I was playing around a few months ago with running backends in virtual
> machines etc.  Anyway I looked at using mDNS as I thought it was an
> elegant way to deal with IP addresses.  The one thing that I found was
> that you could set the FE and possibly slave backends with .local names
> but the master backend address would not resolve, it had to be an IP
> address.  I never tracked down why this was the case.  Maybe it was a
> config error on my part because you would think the resolution would be
> taken care of by the OS...

In my case the problem seemed to be with the search domains assigned by
DHCP. The iPhone seemed to be trying to resolve "host.local" as
"host.local.local". I could get it to work by assigning a static ip and no
search domain. Anyway, works well now.

Cheers,