[mythtvnz] Multiseat Myth?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Mar 15 09:08:45 GMT 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:05:08 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I was wondering if anyone knows whether it would be possible to run a
>multiseated mythbox?  Multiseat is where you run two or more monitors
>with separate desktops on each.  I'm interested to know whether it would
>be still possible to access the advanced graphics functions (ie hardware
>decoding) with 2+ monitors.
>
>Reason I'm asking is that it seems like it might be more cost effective
>to just run AV cabling than building/buying separate frontend systems.
>Especially if they are probably not going to get fully utilised as I'm
>sure that my system is not being heavily pushed.
>
>Anyway it'd be good to get people's views as without the hardware
>decoding capabilities this idea is pretty much dead in the water.
>
>Cheers
>Rossco

I do not think the current Nvidia drivers support acceleration on two
monitors at once, but you can check the features list - it is in the
docs somewhere.  But if you have accelerated motherboard video, and
you add an accelerated PCI or PCIe card, you could probably run two
monitors accelerated.  I am not sure if you could then run two copies
of mythfrontend, but I do not see any particular reason why not.

I think you would have enough resources to do that on one PC, but only
if you are not running mythcommflag or transcoding jobs.  Mythcommflag
uses lots of resources.