[mythtvnz] Multiseat Myth?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Mar 15 09:25:39 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross and Jemima Knudsen" <ross.jemima at gmail.com>
To: <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 9:05 PM
Subject: [mythtvnz] Multiseat Myth?

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows whether it would be possible to run a
> multiseated mythbox?  Multiseat is where you run two or more monitors
> with separate desktops on each.  I'm interested to know whether it would
> be still possible to access the advanced graphics functions (ie hardware
> decoding) with 2+ monitors.
>
> Reason I'm asking is that it seems like it might be more cost effective
> to just run AV cabling than building/buying separate frontend systems.
> Especially if they are probably not going to get fully utilised as I'm
> sure that my system is not being heavily pushed.
>
> Anyway it'd be good to get people's views as without the hardware
> decoding capabilities this idea is pretty much dead in the water.
>
> Cheers
> Rossco

Well...I just sort of tried for you, I have a 8500GT (512M RAM) feeding a LCD (VGA) and TV (Component), running separate X sessions.

I can get both screens to run different material however the system is probably struggling.....It doesn't play 1080i live on both,
and the audio is slightly out of sync.... Still with 1G of fast RAM who knows?