[mythtvnz] Next problem --- Audio over DVI to HDMI

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 22:18:05 GMT 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> [...]

reduce cable clutter? (maybe thats what you are meaning in your next sentence)
"because he can"
because his soundcard may be crap?

> Obvious initial answer is it conveys audio and video over one cable, presumably into a LCD TV.
>
> However, we are talking good quality HD video,

Are we? We may be talking SD or we may be talking even crappier
transcoded files from a DVD or downloaded?

>high quality audio, while most TV's have generally poor audio reproduction, some of
> the largest TV's possibly excepted.
>
> Anyone wanting sound quality in line with their visual quality should consider a separate audio system.

Agreed.

> At that point a separate audio input is going to be required.  One obvious exception will be a switching HDMI amp,

Yes I think for a lounge/home theatre that is correct. But for a
bedroom cable clutter and tidyness, along with the much vaunted WAF
may be more important :)