[mythtvnz] Next problem --- Audio over DVI to HDMI

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Mar 6 22:43:16 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Rout" <nick.rout at gmail.com>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Next problem --- Audio over DVI to HDMI

>> Can I ask a fundamental question, why would you want to?

>reduce cable clutter? (maybe thats what you are meaning in your next sentence)

yes.

>"because he can"

I could understand that reason.

>because his soundcard may be crap?

Did you read the OP's posts?  OP tells us what it is, see below.  Are you saying that is a crap soundcard?

>> However, we are talking good quality HD video,

>Are we? We may be talking SD or we may be talking even crappier transcoded files from a DVD or downloaded?

Nick, the OP has told us:

Additional information.
Audio 8280lI HD Audio Controller Intel onboard
Ubuntu 9.10 AMD_64.
JYA's Nvidia drivers
Geforce 9400 GT

Nick, do you believe the OP, having bought a 1080p display, won't be displaying any HD?  I can't see anyone setting up this rig to
not do HD. (although it will give better SD than many older SD systems, by turning i into p. HD is free these days....)