[mythtvnz] Next problem --- Audio over DVI to HDMI

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Mar 6 22:01:00 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross and Jemima Knudsen" <ross.jemima at gmail.com>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Next problem --- Audio over DVI to HDMI

Can I ask a fundamental question, why would you want to?

Obvious initial answer is it conveys audio and video over one cable, presumably into a LCD TV.

However, we are talking good quality HD video, high quality audio, while most TV's have generally poor audio reproduction, some of
the largest TV's possibly excepted.

Anyone wanting sound quality in line with their visual quality should consider a separate audio system.

At that point a separate audio input is going to be required.  One obvious exception will be a switching HDMI amp, that is wired in
between mythtv and the screen, however that's not been described in this case.

Is the OP planning on using the TV's audio and want audio with video over DVI / HDMI for that reason?