[mythtvnz] GeForce xfx 6200 & WinTV-NOVA-TD 500?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jun 14 08:08:12 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "mythtv" <mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] GeForce xfx 6200 & WinTV-NOVA-TD 500?

>> Anything without a PCI-E slot is a bit of a dead end if you want GPU
>> acceleration.

That is not my experience.

>> There are PCI nVdida cards that do VDPAU, but I have seen posts that suggest they aren't exactly the bees knees.

Nick, can you give us some reference(s) to enduring problems with NVIDIA PCI video cards on 800Mhz bus singe core Intel CPU's?

> The Optiplex has room for a silent half height GT220 PCI-e & it will run
> rings around the ION..

Looking at the original posters PC spec at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_OptiPlex is shown that it is an AGP based motherboard.
I have several PCI video cards in very similar PC's running the same Intel series CPU's etc.  They are in my experience
indistinguishable from PCIe based 8500GT video cards in more recent C2D motherboards.  I agree Intel 3G level CPU's will leave most
ION cpu's for dead, unless they are fitted with similar spec CPU's, I recall ZOTAC do make a few - and they are priced in accord.
The PCI cards do not seem to be compatible with all motherboards, however I would expect no performance issue with the OP's box.
The biggest issue will be noise. Capacitors issues are also noted on the site.  Depending on what the OP wishes to do, may make an
ION based box attractive however I note commflagging is starting to work here in NZ now, so more CPU can be useful.