[mythtvnz] nVidia firmware POST screen

mythtv mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Jun 13 03:42:03 BST 2010

Gripe about new nVidia card...
The primary monitor or POST screen of multi-head nVidia videocards.

The videocard firmware has to determine the best screen for POST based
on what is physically connected & if display(s) have DDC EDID etc.
My experience with MX440 6200 9400 is that the DVI-I is preferred over
VGA. VGA preferred over RGB/YUU component. EDID display always preferred
over non-EDID. DVI-A preferred over VGA maybe. Don't know how HDMI fits
in.
It is possible that a DVI-I cable will cause different behaviour to
DVI-D.
This ordering is all very sensible.
The windows box at work POSTs in mirror mode; more sensible.

The Gripe:
The new nVidia GT240 almost completely cocks this up..
It prefers to POSTs on the non-EDID VGA screen over a EDID DFP PC
monitor..madness.
The exact same displays & cables with a 9400GT behaves as expected.

This is just an annoyance as the xorg.conf file can (& does) set the
primary display.

This card is a big step up from the 9400GT & well recommended. Feature
set C vdpauhqscaling & full h/w deinterlace makes everything look fluid
& sharp including DVD playback now.

You know the only solution to the GlobalFinancialCrisis is consumption,
what other justification do you need.

Brett.