[mythtvnz] EPG from MHEG or Internet?

mythtv mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Jun 6 22:19:39 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 08:03 +1200, stuart wrote:
> Hi Guys
> I am also interested in this as I have just built a new box with nova t
> 500 all is  happy. I have multi rec and I am able to collect  a now and
> next  epg from the t stream.
> I have been watching discussion on the EPG issues for a while, but it
> never really worried about it to much because my old box used reven
> scrapper to build my EPG.
>   My Linux knowledge is basic at best, I have downloaded mheg2xml for
> building the Epg, and as I said I googled how to even unpack a tar. file
> If anyone is using this method can some one post how to use this and rb
> - download that was mention in this file, to build a epg or point me in

Stuart
The redbutton mheg-5 method works but is not an integrated solution. You
should probably get the NZ scrapper working; it is a set & forget
method. I think the internet scrapping from a 'nice' source is the best
solution for most people. The internet method allows a collective effort
(nice does the effort & I do the collecting!) to improve the data etc..

There are a couple of things to look out for with the scrapper:
- I never found a complete how-to & this is not one.
- default NZ scrapper is an executable script that needs su to edit.
- need the script to point to current very 'nice' server & to pick
which file (all or freeviewHD).
- need to run script --configure to generate a "source.xmltv" file
stick this file in .mythtv folder
- stop EIT data overwriting the database scrapper data - Untick the box
"Use XMLTV ID for OTA guide" under backend channel editor..

The rb-download needs to be compiled.
Need to get a tuner on to a certain channel then run rb-download (on
that channel stream) for a few minutes. Run the sV scripts to get an
EPG.

Brett