[mythtvnz] Cutting H.264 DVB-T files with ffmpeg without transcoding

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jul 23 11:40:39 BST 2010

Ross and Jemima Knudsen wrote:
> David Moore wrote:
>> Yes I understand that. Sorry but what I meant was what is your end
>> objective of running the user job? Transcode? Cut? Something else?
>> Wouldn't be too hard to script the transcoding using a similar technique
>> to Craig B's hdvideo2ipod.sh script. Cutting would be harder because (I
>> think) it would involve sql to access the cutlist in the myth database.
>> I'm a fairly basic sql user and I haven't used it from a script yet so
>> this would be a bit of a learning curve for me.
>>

> Ok, sorry I thought it was a funny question ;-).
>
> I think a good place to start would be with say Craig's script.  I
> haven't personally done a lot of scripting in bash (or any other linux
> scripting langauge).  I can do sql but I'm not sure what functionality
> is available via bash to work with data from the DB (maybe you can use
> arrays?).  Maybe another language would be better?
>
> I'd say the objective would be to transcode losslessly to remove the
> LATM part and remux the file into a new container as the basic function
> of the script.  It should then be able to accept a flag to tell it to
> observe the cutlist from the DB to cut the file as appropriate.
>
> It should also accept a flag to replace the file in the DB or save it
> externally.  If it replaces the original recording then it should update
> the DB to remove the cutlist and update the seek table.
>
> This way we will have a minimal recording with basically no loss in
> information (only around where the cuts are) which can then be further
> encoded or archived as desired through separate means.  Is this what
> others are after, have I missed anything useful?

I get the picture now. I also am new to anything in linux really but I'm
prepared to give it a go. With my minimal experience I believe you can
do pretty much anything in a bash script although the built-in script
features are not as flash as something like perl.

I like your ideas. I'll get started but it will probably take me a while
so don't hold your breath. :-)