[mythtvnz] Cutting H.264 DVB-T files with ffmpeg without transcoding

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 11:03:00 BST 2010

David Moore wrote:
> Yes I understand that. Sorry but what I meant was what is your end
> objective of running the user job? Transcode? Cut? Something else?
> Wouldn't be too hard to script the transcoding using a similar technique
> to Craig B's hdvideo2ipod.sh script. Cutting would be harder because (I
> think) it would involve sql to access the cutlist in the myth database.
> I'm a fairly basic sql user and I haven't used it from a script yet so
> this would be a bit of a learning curve for me.

Ok, sorry I thought it was a funny question ;-).

I think a good place to start would be with say Craig's script.  I
haven't personally done a lot of scripting in bash (or any other linux
scripting langauge).  I can do sql but I'm not sure what functionality
is available via bash to work with data from the DB (maybe you can use
arrays?).  Maybe another language would be better?

I'd say the objective would be to transcode losslessly to remove the
LATM part and remux the file into a new container as the basic function
of the script.  It should then be able to accept a flag to tell it to
observe the cutlist from the DB to cut the file as appropriate.

It should also accept a flag to replace the file in the DB or save it
externally.  If it replaces the original recording then it should update
the DB to remove the cutlist and update the seek table.

This way we will have a minimal recording with basically no loss in
information (only around where the cuts are) which can then be further
encoded or archived as desired through separate means.  Is this what
others are after, have I missed anything useful?