[mythtvnz] MythTV stopping recording when heavy I/O

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sat Jul 17 04:49:08 BST 2010

Hello all,

I use an HVR2200 and a WD Green drive, using FreeviewHD (using an nVidia
8600GT with VDPAU).

Generally, everything is brilliant. If I use the machine for anything
with heavy I/O (say a major backup to an external drive), I find that
the recording will just stop happening and I'll have half a recording on
the machine. I've tried running these tasks with both nice and ionice,
but it doesn't help (I think that one reason is because they spawn a lot
of kernel tasks like USB support and cache flushing).

As far as I can see, a full recording is in the order of a few GB. The
machine has GBs of RAM in it, so in an ideal world the recording would
be cached into RAM while the HDD was in heavy use. My guess is that the
writes are only delayed by a few seconds or so, so it would be fine to
buffer them up. Would this be a feature to request in MythTV or the
HVR2200 driver itself?

Regards,

Aaron