[mythtvnz] MythTV stopping recording when heavy I/O

criggie at criggie.dyndns.org criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Sat Jul 17 05:02:15 BST 2010

On 17/07/10 15:49, Aaron Whitehouse wrote:
> Generally, everything is brilliant. If I use the machine for anything
> with heavy I/O (say a major backup to an external drive), I find that
> the recording will just stop happening and I'll have half a recording on
> the machine. I've tried running these tasks with both nice and ionice,
> but it doesn't help (I think that one reason is because they spawn a lot
> of kernel tasks like USB support and cache flushing).

A guess - you're using a USB external hard drive.

I've seem some combinations of USB controllers and "something else" in
the machine cause insane slowness.

Do a cat /proc/interrupts    and see what shares an interrupt with your USB.

Try another USB port too - get one on a different controller.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/