[mythtvnz] Anyone else using a HDHomerun/Mythtv/XBMC combo?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 21:44:43 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Jim Cheetham <jim at gonzul.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Mark de Reeper
> <mark.dereeper at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone else is using a similar combination and is having
>> trouble free NZ Freeview playback.
>
> The opposite; I have a different combination & occasionally have
> problems with playback of programmes recorded from Freeview.
>
> I have a PopcornHour A110 device doing the playback, and for some
> programmes I get incorrect durations, and sometimes fast-forward fails
> to return to normal speed at the correct place; on one worst-case
> programme, the result of fast-forwarding at *any* point will cause a
> return to the beginning when normal speed is re-selected.
>
> I know my system hasn't changed in between instances of this problem,
> so it must be something different in the programme as broadcast on
> freeview. It seems to be related to metadata, not the actual
> video/audio ... perhaps VLC trusts its own examination of the video
> more than it trusts the supplied metadata?
>
> If you have time to experiment, it may be worth trying to convert
> these problem files into a different format, see if the problem
> follows you through that.

Sometimes simply remuxing the file will fix some of those problems.
myth creates its own entries for use by ff and rew in the database,
but the popcornhour will not use these. Making the transport stream
into a program stream may halp. I think the incantation is something
like:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy original.mpg new.mpg

But peruse the users mailing list archives before believing that!