[mythtvnz] OT: Recommended wiring scheme and RJ-45 connectors for Lexcom (Cat7) cable

Matt Poff matt.poff at headfirst.co.nz
Tue Feb 16 05:11:24 GMT 2010

Thanks all - great info. So looks as straightforward as choosing a
colour mapping from the 568B scheme to the Lexcom and then going with
it.

On 16/02/2010, at 4:34 PM, James Gray wrote:
>  Why you'd use lexcom cable with standard jacks is beyond me, but I
> guess that's your situation, and the cable is already there...

Mainly the cost. The RJ-45 jacks for the Lexcom cable were around $11
each last time I checked (although they are no-tool installations) and
then the components for the cabinet are expensive for the price.
Again, last time I checked, no Gigabit switches and a 4-port 100T was
a couple of hundred. The cable was overkill, particularly as I also
ran some RG6 as well because of some reports the Lexcom wasn't great
for longer runs of HD on Sky. I'll have to recheck the prices and see
if anything's changed.

> I have a few runs of Cat 7 and I use standard cat6 shielded
> connectors, bit of a pain to strip back all the sheilding though
> etc ...
Thanks Douglas - I'm all good with the cabling, just a case of what to
do with it. I hear you on the shielding - what little I have stripped
hasn't been fun. Might make the pink batts ceiling installation look
like fun by comparison.

> Other thing to watch is min radius for bends, while not of any great
> effect for Gig Ethernet, it has a big impact on trying to run
> 1080P60 on
> HDMI eliminators on CAT6 cable.
Good to know. The Lexcom literature had a rule of thumb of nothing
tighter than the radius of a golf ball and so I've allowed plenty of
slack in turns in the runs. Hopefully enough.

I guess this begs the question, how much of this in-wall cabling can
you do in NZ without falling foul of the authorities? Is it just
wiring that hooks into either mains power or telecoms that requires
registered installers?

Matt