[mythtvnz] File system (XFS?) for new disk?

Ross Williamson ross at inertia.net.nz
Wed Dec 22 21:05:53 GMT 2010

> Just to keep some balance... I've been using XFS on a system that has
> run non-stop for over three years without any problems at all. No
> experience of JFS. I think I picked XFS at the time because of that
> bit of science (?) about it being able to handle small numbers of
> large files, which is really what MythTV does.

 This is my experience also. I've installed a large number of systems
 with XFS (not just myth boxes) over the last 9 years or so without a
 single issue of data loss. On the occasions I've had to run xfs_repair
 it has always been successful. It is very rare that I would need to run
 this however and it has always been due to a major external factor.

 Reiser, on the other hand, I have had many issues with - most resulting
 in data loss. I was hit by the bug a while back where a reiser FS image
 sitting on a reiser FS resulted in huge corruption when fscked and that
 was about when I gave up on using reiser. This was pre-reiser4 but it
 still haunts me too much to consider it again.

 No experience with JFS. I was always of the understanding that it was
 outdated when compared to XFS but many people on this list seem very
 happy with it so it is probably a good choice, also.

 Ross