[mythtvnz] File system (XFS?) for new disk?

David Lowe david at thistledown.co.nz
Wed Dec 22 07:16:02 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:48 PM, David Moore <dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> On 22/12/2010, at 2:19 PM, criggie at criggie.dyndns.org wrote:
>
> > On 21/12/10 20:59, criggie at criggie.dyndns.org wrote:
> >> You need a filesystem that deletes 1-10 GB files quickly, so that
> >> would
> >> be JFS or XFS.
> >
> > Data point - I just deleted 448 GB in 3 files from an ext4 partition
> > in
> > 26.95 seconds  (16.6 GB/sec)
> >
> > and 129 GB in 3 files from a JFS partition in 0.678 seconds (190 GB/
> > sec)
> >
> > --
> > Criggie
> >
> > http://criggie.dyndns.org/
> >
> Cool. I had read some stuff about how EXT4 was getting slower, not
> faster, as it was developed. I'll probably go with JFS after a little
> more reading about it.
>
> Thanks to all who have commented so far.
>
> ___

Just to keep some balance... I've been using XFS on a system that has run
non-stop for over three years without any problems at all. No experience of
JFS. I think I picked XFS at the time because of that bit of science (?)
about it being able to handle small numbers of large files, which is really
what MythTV does.

My 2c

- David