[mythtvnz] File system (XFS?) for new disk?

Steve Holdoway steve at greengecko.co.nz
Tue Dec 21 08:44:26 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 20:50 +1300, David Moore wrote:
> I'm about to add a new 2TB disk to my system and I'm leaning towards XFS
> after quite a bit of googling. Doesn't seem like EXT4 is quite mature
> enough yet and seems that although EXT3 is very mature XFS is also quite
> mature but faster/better than EXT3 for large files. Anyone got any
> comments (pros or cons) about file systems for myth video storage? I'm
> using NTFS for video storage disks/partitions at the moment but only
> because I migrated from MediaPortal to MythTV. OS version is Ubuntu
> 10.04 LTS and myth version is 0.23+fixes.

Peronally, I'm pretty anti XFS as it's the only file system that's blown
itself to bits on me. Sure it was well over 5 years ago, but I'm scarred
for life. IIRC was designed primarily for the film industry, with
'small' numbers of large files - although many of todays files will fall
into that definition.

No mention of Reiser... 3 or even 4?

Steve Holdoway <steve at greengecko.co.nz>
http://www.greengecko.co.nz