[mythtvnz] Video Card Suggestion for HD

criggie at criggie.dyndns.org criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 20 07:43:25 GMT 2010

On 20/12/10 18:40, tortise wrote:
> On 20/12/2010 5:42 p.m., Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> Now my card is new, this will change over time as it starts collecting dust.
>
> While dust collects I believe the noise problem is not the dust, its the
> fan bearing wearing.  For example vacuuming a noisy fan and removing all
> visible dust does little to reduce a noisy fan's noise. The bearing
> tolerances open up, and presumably allow increased vibration at audio
> frequencies. Bearing lubrication may help, whether one wants to try...I
> am not sure as its not been that rewarding for me.  Rubber fan mountings
> may also help.  Custom graphic card fans are harder to deal with.

I always thought that sleeve fans were cheap and nasty, and ball bearing
fans were the way to go.   However, sleeve fans run better for longer
when strapped to a hot thing, like a heatsink.

The GPU fan on one machine packed up, so I got a fan that sits in the
PCI slot and blows air straight at the video card beside it.  Not
silent, but at 600 RPM its close enough.  And not touching the video
card means more air movement etc.

I'd be careful lubing a fan inside a case - lots of rotation means it
will migrate out along the fan blades if not restrained by something.  I
have vague memories of someone peeling off a sticker from a fan and
dropping a single drop of light oil on that side.  Only effective for a
couple months.

As for replacement fans, there are plenty of choices:

Replacement fan
$20 http://www.trademe.co.nz/341804920

Zalman fan and cooler
$30 http://www.trademe.co.nz/341313577