[mythtvnz] Video Card Suggestion for HD

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Dec 20 05:40:18 GMT 2010

On 20/12/2010 5:42 p.m., Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Now my card is new, this will change over time as it starts collecting dust.

While dust collects I believe the noise problem is not the dust, its the
fan bearing wearing.  For example vacuuming a noisy fan and removing all
visible dust does little to reduce a noisy fan's noise. The bearing
tolerances open up, and presumably allow increased vibration at audio
frequencies. Bearing lubrication may help, whether one wants to try...I
am not sure as its not been that rewarding for me.  Rubber fan mountings
may also help.  Custom graphic card fans are harder to deal with.