[mythtvnz] FrontEnds Controlling Audio Mains Power

Brett mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Dec 13 09:45:00 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 15:46 +1300, tortise

> >> I think that works over the HDMI cable using "CEC" version 5 technology
> >> (aka HDAVI control 5) that has yet to make its way into the NVIDIA
> >> cards.  It works well, e.g. a Sony CAM connected via HDMI is controlled
> >> by the TV's remote.  Nice.  Shame its not more extensibe.  My AV amps
> >> are older than the newer HDMI ones, I suppose I could upgrade them ($$)
> >> but that still would not integrate mythtv.

You know more about this than I do.

> What else might be achieved?  I can't think of anything else.

Not thought about it..maybe web/html based config & control. Maybe run
web page based myth frontend served from BE.
You did say shame it is not more extensible...

> Who says they cannot do it?  The component standard goes up to 1080p.
>

> Many Sony and Samsung sets detail 1080p input via component. e.g.
> http://www.sony.co.nz/product/kdl-40nx710

I don't trust Sony specs & this link does not clearly state the
capability. I bet it will not do 1920x1080p or 1920x1080i over
component/VGA.
Sony would be the last TV expected to do this..

> I haven't bothered, but expect I can go PC|DVI to TV|HDMI  What's the
> benefit though?

Direct pixelmapping & no overscan & able to do 1080p so full
de-interlace capability of GPU/video card used.
HDMI will let you do 1080p50 or 60 so video card can de-interlace.
The nvidia feature set C is still better than V20 (IMO).

> > I did not find any TVs that did not require HDMI to make them work well
> > as a display.
> > IFAIK native pixel mapping/just-scan are only available using HDMI;
> > sometimes called PC input mode.
>
> I am feeding mine via with mythtv and component with overscan turned off
> @ 1080i at 60Hz

1080i60Hz is not right should be 1080p60 or i30. 3D NTSC blueray/ might
be 1080i60.

You should not be using 30 or 60 for NZ recordings as you will have
euro-judder &/or possible weird effects from confusing the TV into
inverse telecine or other...
TV recordings should be using i25 or p50 except for NTSC DVD etc..

nvidia feature set C inverse telecine is very good (Pink Floyd The Wall
DVD).

> > The next generation LED backlight might be more efficient but then new
> > 3D versions of both plasma&  LCD use more power, the LCD may be worse
> > because the increased pixel clocking rate...
>
> I don't know about these and suppose we can be guided by you here?

I did say my guess & but there is some method with the madness....