[mythtvnz] FrontEnds Controlling Audio Mains Power

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Dec 13 02:46:33 GMT 2010

On 13/12/2010 2:57 p.m., Brett wrote:

>> I think that works over the HDMI cable using "CEC" version 5 technology
>> (aka HDAVI control 5) that has yet to make its way into the NVIDIA
>> cards.  It works well, e.g. a Sony CAM connected via HDMI is controlled
>> by the TV's remote.  Nice.  Shame its not more extensibe.  My AV amps
>> are older than the newer HDMI ones, I suppose I could upgrade them ($$)
>> but that still would not integrate mythtv.
>>
> It is a shame..the RC codes were open.
> This smart proprietary stuff is just meant to lock you into one vendor ?

What else might be achieved?  I can't think of anything else.

>> Yes it didn't take long to work out that the best viewing came from the
>> (home) "dynamic" setting, which is the only setting that realistically
>> stands besides the best bright LCD's in the current competitive
>> marketplace.
>>
> The extreme contrast setting (default) is to make them compare
> favourably to LCDs in really bright shops.

This model TV has an early menu option when one first turns it on where
you choose shop or home use.  I understand but have not checked it out
that the shop option selects dynamic as default so that it will compete...
Home chooses "normal" mode by default, which is dull.  I expect most
users will prefer and select dynamic....

 > Turn on/set Just-scan direct-pixel mapping, turn off  Intelligent Frame
 > Creator.
> Have to use HDMI connection.
>
>> in.  Some other comments - they do not take 1080p via component but do
>> over HDMI, most peers of a similar standard do both.  Their website also
> I doubt any TV, worth consideration, would allow 1080p except via HDMI;
> they're not allowed to do it.

Who says they cannot do it?  The component standard goes up to 1080p.

Many Sony and Samsung sets detail 1080p input via component. e.g.
http://www.sony.co.nz/product/kdl-40nx710

> The analogue (VGA, component) inputs are almost always non-native (&
> lower max) resolutions.

Again check out the specs in the manuals - which detail the contrary
with many having native 1920x1080 via VGA. VGA and component should not
be lumped together as necessarily behaving the same.

> DVI is only an option on the Pana pro plasma display range&  they do not
> compare to V20 for PQ/resolution/cost.

I haven't bothered, but expect I can go PC|DVI to TV|HDMI  What's the
benefit though?

> I did not find any TVs that did not require HDMI to make them work well
> as a display.
> IFAIK native pixel mapping/just-scan are only available using HDMI;
> sometimes called PC input mode.

I am feeding mine via with mythtv and component with overscan turned off
@ 1080i at 60Hz

> The power consumption for normal picture settings is meant to be very
> similar to LCD.
> My guess with power consumption is that plasma is limited by switching
> losses&  LCD is limited more by backlight efficiency.
>
> The next generation LED backlight might be more efficient but then new
> 3D versions of both plasma&  LCD use more power, the LCD may be worse
> because the increased pixel clocking rate...

I don't know about these and suppose we can be guided by you here?