[mythtvnz] OTish Online TV via Telstra 'Ziln'

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Thu Sep 10 00:17:27 BST 2009

On 10/09/09 10:56 AM, Simon Green wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Nick Rout<nick.rout at gmail.com>
>
>> Here is an announcement I (as a telstra cable user) got today.
>>

>> http://now.eloqua.com/es.asp?s=1087&e=721&elq=f682872cf74c47eebaef8b74305973db
>>
>> Hope that link works, heres the text of the announcement in case it didn't.
>>

> Link works fine.
>
> It's an interesting announcement, but I can't seeing it being successful
> until it can be watched on a television. Anyone know if it uses IPTV
> standards so it can be intergrated with MythTV?
>
> The server is hosted at ICONZ Data Centre, which I assume means that any
> usage will count towards your monthly data usage. Quick sums suggest that
> Ziln would cost the user 43c per hour (based on the TC $11.95 for 10GB plan,
> using 360MB an hour)
>
>    -- simon

Hmmm.  TCL have been playing with IPTV for the last few years internally.

Strange that it's at ICONZ, particularly with the issues there have been
historically with TCL/ICONZ and interconnects.  But if Ziln is a 3rd
party (rather than just a branding name for TCL IPTV) that might explain
it, although I would have thought that they would put the servers in a
TCL data centre as part of the setup.

  - Wade